Tuesday 22 July 2008

'No country for old men'!

No wind here today, so it was back to the books and documents for me. The Yngling 'girls' invited me to join them for their gym session this afternoon; of course it was just a trick to get their revenge - I've been giving them a hard time over the last couple of weeks on the rules. Had them doing tests, attending lectures, answering tests, learning the 'play book' by heart, and all the rest.

So, here was their chance; it started easy with 20 mins. on the rowing machine to warm up, then on to some power walking and running on the tread-mill, some flexing and a few reps on the weights, and then ...... my first 'spinning class! This was an hour of bike riding but not like any bike riding I've done before; the bike is stationary and has just one wheel at the front (bit like a fly-wheel). You can adjust the fly-wheel for various settings of difficulty by applying a friction device. And away you go!

I think the class instructor was certifiable, literally. Shouting to be heard above the beat of the 'motivating' music he would bark instructions at the class - I had to watch what others did, as my Chinese is still rather poor. The class was about thirty people and we must have lost a couple of litres each in sweat - not a nice job to clear up that lot.

My body; well I think it survived though I'll know more in the morning! At dinner I gently enquired whether the team did that every day, 'oh no' came the enthusiastic reply 'the class is only on Tuesdays' - thank goodness for that, I have seven days to recover!

1 comment:

Roy said...

Thanks Ewan. Will this be introduced and developed at RAYC!!
rOY