Tuesday 12 August 2008

On yer bike!


Well you could be mistaken for thinking I am at the biking part of the Olympics judging from this picture! The amazing sailing facilities at this venue are all quite well spread out, so the most effective mode of transport (other than the 'golf buggies' provided by the organisers) is to have your own bike.

Or course, as with everything, there is a pecking order; the 'top' teams have the best bikes which travel the world in the teams' containers from venue to venue, the next ranked 'bikers' are those who have bought local bikes which are full-size, with gears and all the accessories. The next lowest down rank (like me) have a bike bought locally for about 350 RMB, or about Euro 30.

Funny how markets work; the light I bought and brought with me - top quality design and all the functions you can cram into a few square centimeters of space - and use to keep me safe going home (it gets dark here about 19:00) cost about the same as the bike I have!

No comments: